E-learning is all about learning. Every type of learning takes place with the focus steady on needs and aptitudes of learners. The enabler for online learning is technology. Whether it’s K12 or corporate e learning services, the facilitator remains technology only. And for availing the benefits of e-learning solutions, it’s necessary to have a firm grip upon technologies. First, let’s discuss the most important elearning technologies.
Online learning technologies
At present, there’s an array of elearning techniques, ranging from plain vanilla HTML to complex Learning Management Systems (LMS). It’s very important to select proper software for successfully implementing an online teaching program. The ideal software must be able to satisfy each and every need of e-learners. In general, there are five technologies that can be implemented to make an e-learning module a sizzler. The list of technologies includes:-
- Programming Languages
- Authoring Packages
- Learning Management Systems
- Learning Content Management Systems
- Content Management Systems
Four key characteristics of an ideal elearning technology
For making regular or custom e-learning solutions a smasher, it’s necessary to deploy technology having specific characteristics. Always remember, technological errs weaken the e-assimilators zest to learn. Likewise, technical glitches can also kill the drive of instructors to teach online. Let’s look at the four primary characteristics of technologies that an elearning module should adopt.
- Maintainability – A technology meant for online teaching must be maintainable for a long period of time. A technological solution is maintainable if you find it easy to:-
- Add new users
- Delete old users
- Update course structure
- Recycle quizzes
Instructors and learners do not want to work on such a technology that is not at all maintainable. Every online teaching module should be simple to administer and easy to update. Always search for e-learning modules that separate structure from content. Such a separation helps in hassle-free upgrading of content.
- Compatibility – Compatibility in elearning solutions, nowadays, is the key. You really wouldn’t like to be ended up with proprietary software that can’t function upon other devices and platforms. E-learning software establishes a long-term link between vendor and user. Hence, a user must choose such vendors who work with a range of software and devices. It’s difficult to find a Learning Management System (LMS) that is compatible with different platforms. However, you can still opt for elearning solutions that are universally recognized.
- Usability –Another technical issue that you want to address while designing a module is of usability. If an e-learning solution is not easy to use, then it’s worthless. Most assimilators find technology cumbersome. Hence, it’s necessary to make a module easy to understand as well as work. Technologies in an elearning module must work as a facilitator and not a spoilsport.
- Modularity – Every elearning technology must be a nugget in itself. The technology needs to be a module/ knowledge object. The same knowledge object must have a small amount of instructional content. The knowledge object/instructional content must have the capacity to be reused. The idea behind modularity of a knowledge object is to reduce the overall development time.
All the above-mentioned features of the technology help an e-learning module become the best for learners, instructors as well as administrators.
Featured Image Source: unixmen.com